Re: Percent encoding

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:32:37 +0800
To: raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr, "Yves Lafon" <ylafon@w3.org>
Cc: "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "Media Fragment" <public-media-fragment@w3.org>, "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:31:06 +0800, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Raphaël Troncy wrote:
>
>> Dear Philip,
>>
>>> Perhaps YouTube decodes first and splits last, or perhaps they just use
>>> a regexp to find v=XXXXX anywhere. Whatever is the case with YouTube, I
>>> assume we want to match as closely as possible how query strings works
>>> in e.g. ASP, PHP, JSP and Perl CGI, or there is no benefit in using
>>> something that resembles query strings.
>>>  We can never be 100% compatible, for reasons listed in a note after
>>> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-spec/#decode-a-percent-encoded-string
>>
>> Thanks, the note is indeed really useful. For all the following
>> statements, do you think it is possible to indicate a suitable
>> reference?
>>    *  "&" is the only primary separator for name-value pairs, but some
>> server-side languages also treat ";" as a separator.
>>    * name-value pairs with invalid percent-encoding should be ignored,
>> but some server-side languages silently mask such errors.
>>    * The "+" character should not be treated specially, but some
>> server-side languages replace it with a space (" ") character.
>
> + is in sub-delims, along with & ; and others
> (cf rfc3986)

I tried looking at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt but can't figure
out if sub-delims is relevant or not. It's indirectly part of the
definition of fragment and query, but I can't see the spec saying anything
special about it otherwise. It isn't related to what we (can) treat as
separators, right?

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer