Re: ACTION-156 -- Conrad Parker to add a "bandwidth conservation use case"

From: Conrad Parker <conrad@metadecks.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:57:32 +0900
To: raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr
Cc: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Hi,

I've just reviewed that thread:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2010Mar/0061.html

I was introducing a scenario in order to discuss why it's useful to
have separate request mechanisms for both media-fragments and
byte-ranges, so that it is possible to request a byte-range of (the
response to a more complex media-fragment request).

I don't think that it is worth introducing a use-case for this. Making
things cacheable shouldn't be done by some new sub-section with a new
mechanism; rather, the existing mechanisms should be designed to be
inherently cacheable. Rather than introduce new use-cases, I think it
would be more useful to document how a UA would handle partial
downloads of media-fragments.

(Please close ACTION-156)

Conrad.