Re: Media Fragments URI parsing: pseudo algorithm code

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 16:49:02 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Philip Jšgenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Hi Silvia,

> If that is the case, our spec is inconsistent. We have a section that states:
>
> "Note that a general URI fragment or query string specified on a media
> resource may contain several field-value pairs. They are not
> restricted to the ones specified here, since applications may want to
> use additional other parameters to communicate further requests to
> custom servers."

And I remember that this is clearly what the group wants.

> I was always under the impression that we had agreed that additional
> name-value pairs are allowed and don't make the ones that we define
> invalid. I was also under the impression that our ABNF allowed for
> this.

Indeed, and I step back since I overlook the ABNF syntax.
   - a mediasegment can ONLY be namesegment OR a axissegment (time,
space, track)
   - BUT a segment can be a mediasegment OR a set of pchar
I used to only look at the production rule of the mediasegment, thus my
wrong interpretation. Therefore, our syntax clearly allows to have new
name-value pairs.
The fact that this bit of syntax is only specified in a non-normative
appendix is still a problem. It should also be in the section 4.3.5.

I don't see anymore what are the remaining problems posed by Philip and
Yves. Please, could you please both clarify?