media fragments versioning mechanism?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:08:19 -0500
To: public-media-fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
I see that the media fragments spec has a version number

 Media Fragments URI 1.0
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-media-frags-20100413/

What's the versioning mechanism? I can't find a central
discussion of it, though I see things such as

"In this version of the media fragments specification there is no
extensibility mechanism to add time format specifiers."

and

"The SMPTE formats supported in this version of the specification are:

      * smpte,
      * smpte-25,
      * smpte-30 and
      * smpte-30-drop."

what are implementations of this spec expected to do
with fragments from a post-1.0 spec? How do they recognize them?

Hmm... perhaps the error handling section answers most of
those questions. I suggest you put something explicit there
about version numbers.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-media-frags-20100413/#error-general

(see also
Guideline 9. Allow extensions or NOT!
in the QA Framework: Specification Guidelines
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-qaframe-spec-20021108/#Gd-extensions )

Oh... and make sure there are explicit test cases for all
the ways that you think version 2 of the spec (or other
extensions) might be different
from version 1, to be sure that implementations built on
version 1 of the spec don't constrain the design of
version 2... or if they do, at least you have data
about how they do.

Do you have any such test cases yet?

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E