Re: ACTION-158: Exhaustive list of Test Cases for the temporal dimension in the Media Fragment URI

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:25:26 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Hi Silvia,

> If the UA is resolving it all without the help of the server, then
> there should never be an error code coming from the server and it
> would make little sense for the UA to pretend that such an error code
> exists.

Yes, naturally. In the case of
http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/TemporalDimension, we
assume a HTTP request has been issued.

> Specifically for the case of 6.2.2 it would make sense for the UA to
> notice that a>b and not even try to do a retrieval action. It should
> simply just do nothing, just like a request for a fragment on a HTML
> page where the fragment doesn't exist leads to no action.

Indeed, that makes sense. Though, the "no action" could be disturbing
for the user but I agree we should not over-specify the communication
between the UA and the server.

>>   . 6.2.4 is equivalent to Test nį2 and 3 except that we return a 416 and not
>> 200
>
> See reasoning above for no HTTP activity and therefore no return code.

OK. I would agree to that too.

> 10, 11 and 12 have to be diversified based on whether a lies before or
> after the beginning of the media resource. In fact, we need to
> introduce something like s=start time and e=end time everywhere. Thus
> we need to adapt/introduce the following:
>
> no5: t=a,b with s<=a, a<b, b<=e  =>  play a to b
> introduce no5a: t=a,b with a<s, a<b, s<b, b<=e =>  play s to b
> introduce no5b: t=a,b with a<s, a<b, b<s, b<=e =>  empty fragment
> (these include no6 now)
>
> no7: t=a,b with s<=a, a<b, a<e, b>e =>  play a to e
> no7a: t=a,b with a<s, a<b, a<e, b>e =>  play s to e
> no7b: t=a,b with a<b, a=>e, b>e =>  empty fragment
> (this last one includes no8 and no9)
>
> no10: t=a, with a>=s, a<e =>  play a to e
> no10a: t=a, with a<s, a<e =>  play s to e
>
> no14: t=,a with a>s, a<  d =>  play s to a
> no14a: t=,a with a<=s, a<d =>  empty fragment

OK, so for all these test cases, you assume fairly that the start time
of a media resource is not necessarily 0. Is this a frequent case? How
many media files out there have this property?

> Yup, listed above as a/b numbers and additional conditions to the ones
> in the existing list. Mostly related to missing out on defining the
> "start" time of the resource.

I would add all these ones if the group feels it is necessary, i.e.
there _are_ videos that will fall in these cases.
Thanks for the comments!
Cheers.