Re: minutes of 2009-09-17 F2F meeting, Day 1

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:53:26 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Conrad Parker <conrad@metadecks.org>, Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Hi Silvia,

>>  - UA send a media fragment request with a hash (e.g. spatial dimension),
>> the server would need to transcode to serve it. We _might_ mandate that in
>> this case, it does not serve a fragment but the whole resource and let the
>> UA decides what to do with the fragment part
>
> I don't think we have much of a choice here since this request means
> that the server cannot satisfy the content-range request header, will
> therefore ignore it, and will therefore serve the full resource.
> That's how http works, FAIK. I don't think we need to mandate anything
> here - the HTTP spec already takes care of this - it's one of the
> error cases we are looking at in the testing case.

Hum, I agree with what you say in principle except that I don't think it
is an error case! It will not generate a 4xx response for example, but
rather a 200. But I think we agree on what should happen, just not yet
on how to phrase it in our document :-)

> That was my understanding of the outcome of yesterday. And probably a
> good start at the paragraphs I promised to add to the specification.
> :-)

OK. I don't see strong disagreement with what I have written, but you
expand the explanations :-)
Cheers.