Re: video aspect use case

From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:10:18 +0200
Cc: public-media-fragment@w3.org
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
We want to be very careful here that we don't go all the way of
fitting content to the available screen space, that should be left to
composition languages. SMIL has umpteen ways to clip/scale/extend
media (zoom x/y independently, zoom coordinated and fill destination
area, zoom coordinated and make sure whole picture is still visible,
zoom coordinated but never enlarge, probably a few more I've forgotten
about).

My opinion: if we do aspect at all we only do the one use case of
converting between 16x9 and 3x4. (And anything that comes "for free"
if we do that).

Goldman