fragment or sub-resources

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:13:28 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-media-fragment@w3.org
During the last two teleconferences, we discussed a bit the issue of # vs
? (ie: fragment vs sub-resources).
It seems that when we are not in the trivial case of just getting a part
of the compressed resource, ie: when transcoding is needed, that a
sub-resource might be a better match, it may have a Link: header pointing
to the original resource, but would be a resource on its own.

Now, as you can't know in advance if the server support a specific syntax
for getting sub-resources of a specific resource, we might want to signal
this using a URI template [1], as in that case it really sets expectations
for the client (note that it is an example on how to advertise that a
server would use our syntax for sub-resource).
Comments?

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gregorio-uritemplate-03

         ~~Yves