Re: Description of the 2-ways and the 4-ways handshake

At 12:31  +0200 29/04/09, Raphaël Troncy wrote:
>Silvia, Michael
>
>Indeed, we haven't scribed a formal RESOLUTION
>regarding this choice as far as I remember, but
>we agree on that during the Ghent face to face
>meeting, as the minutes let that suppose.
>Further,
>http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/Syntax#Decisions
>have captured the decision.
>
>>We never really captured the decision that was made for choosing "#"
>>as the fragment identifying mechanism over "?". I think we will need a
>>brief discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of these two
>>approaches in the WD and an explanation of when to choose what. This
>>needs to be more than the one sentence written in 6.1.
>
>Absolutely! More precisely, we need to specify
>what's happened if the 'segment' is obtained
>with a hash ('#') or a question mark ('?') since
>out grammar is now flexible.
>   - In the case of the '#': the single or dual
>step partial GET as described currently

I think, rather
? -- it is the server's syntax and task to do the selection
# -- it is the MIME type's syntax and UA's task
to do the selection, possibly assisted by an
enhanced protocol with the server

That is, if the UA is asked to focus the user's
attention on a certain portion of the resource,
it should do the best it can
a) to do said focusing
b) to use the network and server wisely

If the protocol is HTTP-1.1-enhanced, then there
may be new commands or headers it can use.  In
the lack of that (e.g. HTTP 1.1 or even 1.0) it
does the best it can.

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.