Re: ACTION-76 : Question if MPEG-21 Part 17 got registered on IANA as a media mime type for fragments

Hi Cyril,

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Cyril Concolato<cyril.concolato@enst.fr> wrote:
> On the other hands, Part 17 clearly indicates that it "specifies a normative
> syntax for URI Fragment Identifiers to be used for addressing parts of any
> resource whose Internet Media Type is one of:
> - audio/mpeg [RFC3003];
> - video/mpeg [RFC2045, RFC2046];
> - video/mp4 [RFC4337];
> - audio/mp4 [RFC4337];
> - application/mp4 [RFC4337]".
>
> Now, I don't know if the process was right, or if such fragment identifier
> scheme should appear in the registration forms of those media types

It was my understanding that the normative body for such
specifications is IETF and not ISO. So, if we want to be really picky,
these fragment specifications need to be added to the RFCs. However,
let's for a minute not be so picky.

> but it
> seems to me that the important questions are more technical: is this scheme
> good or not, is it too complex to implement or not, should it be profiled or
> not, extended or not ...

I agree, that is the key question. So, are you aware of any MPEG
implementations that have implemented the fragment addressing schemes?
If not, that seems to me to be an indication of it being too complex.
Also, it gives us an opportunity to test the scheme that we are
developing within the MPEG communities and potentially develop a more
usable scheme that can be supported by everyone.

Do you have more information to share on the uptake and use of the
MPEG URI fragment addressing schemes?

Regards,
Silvia.