W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-media-fragment@w3.org > January 2009

Re: ISSUE-2: What is the mime type of a media fragment? What is its relation with its parent resource?

From: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:03:48 +0000
To: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
CC: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Message-ID: <C5A4C4C4.1488%michael.hausenblas@deri.org>


Raphael,

> All opinions are more than welcome ...

Oh I'm happy to learn that.

> First, that is not possible, as we have already discussed it, since for
> updating IANA registries, you need to 'own' the format, which obviously
> we don't. It seems to me insane to try to register the fragment
> semantics for the 100+ multimedia formats, without counting all new ones
> appearing every year ...

Not a matter of being sane or not. A matter of being in-line with the
overall paper-trail or not. If you don't like the rules, try to change them.
I didn't say that this the only option we have in principle, but the only
clean solution I see in the current context. Please, could we find a
language that doesn't rely on strong words in order to discuss technical,
objective things. 

> Second, it is from my point of view not necessary. XPointer lives
> without for a period of time without problem.

Point taken. First, it's your POV. There may be others as well. Second, as
you perfectly point out XPointer - are we aiming at a comparable high impact
and adoption or do we want to produce stuff people would use?

> I cannot find a registry for the SVG fragment? Is someone aware of that?

I am.

> Third, that was not really the question asked in the ISSUE, although, I
> agree it is not completely clear.

Then, please, phrase the questions so that they are unambiguous. Still I see
an issue here and you may want to choose to create a new one for 'my' issue.

Cheers,
      Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,
Galway, Ireland, Europe
Tel. +353 91 495730
http://sw-app.org/about.html


> From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
> Organization: CWI
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:49:58 +0100
> To: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
> Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Media Fragment
> <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: ISSUE-2: What is the mime type of a media fragment? What is its
> relation with its parent resource?
> 
> Hi Michael,
> 
>> Though I'm not Yves, my take on it is:
> 
> All opinions are more than welcome ...
> 
> [skip]
> 
>>> From RFC2046 we learn that the MIME Type Registrations for JPEG 2000
>> (ISO/IEC15444) is specified in RFC3745 [15] where no fragments are defined,
>> hence the general rules from RFC3986 apply.
>> 
>> My conclusion: in order to obey the rules of the game, we'd need to update
>> all registries of targeted media types.
> 
> First, that is not possible, as we have already discussed it, since for
> updating IANA registries, you need to 'own' the format, which obviously
> we don't. It seems to me insane to try to register the fragment
> semantics for the 100+ multimedia formats, without counting all new ones
> appearing every year ...
> 
> Second, it is from my point of view not necessary. XPointer lives
> without for a period of time without problem. I cannot find a registry
> for the SVG fragment? Is someone aware of that?
> 
> Third, that was not really the question asked in the ISSUE, although, I
> agree it is not completely clear. The server specifies using http header
> what is the type of the resource is serving. Silvia's suggestion is to
> encode in the URI this type, for example, in the case we extract a
> keyframe from the video. Is it the only way to go?
> 
> Best regards.
> 
>    RaphaŽl
> 
> -- 
> RaphaŽl Troncy
> CWI (Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science),
> Science Park 123, 1098 XG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> e-mail: raphael.troncy@cwi.nl & raphael.troncy@gmail.com
> Tel: +31 (0)20 - 592 4093
> Fax: +31 (0)20 - 592 4312
> Web: http://www.cwi.nl/~troncy/
Received on Tuesday, 27 January 2009 14:04:31 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 21 September 2011 12:13:32 GMT