Re: Media Fragment URI Syntax: 3 polls now open

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Raphaël Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl> wrote:
> Dear Silvia,
>
> Thank you very much for your careful review of the questionnaires !!!
> See some comments inlined.
>
>> I would be really careful about using the comma as a secondary
>> separator. There are time specifications that include a comma, in
>> particular the SMPTE time stamps. Any number that is larger than 1000
>> is often specified as 1,000. These are the reasons why in Temporal
>> URIs we did not use the comma as the secondary separator, but rather
>> used the "/". I seem to have missed that discussion in Ghent and the
>> agreement on the comma. If people think this situation can be avoided,
>> then I'm happy to consent to the comma - it certainly feels natural.
>
> If the comma is allowed in SMPTE time stamps value, then it will indeed
> prohibit to have this character as a secondary separator.
>
> Silvia, could you please send to the list a reference where we can find the
> characters used by SMPTE?
> All, what do you think?
> We might want to open a new questionnaire for choosing the right character
> for the secondary separator, but you can already decide for the primary one
> ;-)

I have checked the SMPTE time stamps specification, but found nothing
official. I found Broadcast HTML which uses commas a lot
http://xml.coverpages.org/wugofski-Sync.html - but am not sure how
much of  a standard that is. Then if compared it to the specification
of HTML5 times
(http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#valid-time-string)
and they used the "." as a separator for subsecond resolution. If we
stick with that, time should be fine, as long as we force large
numbers not to use the comma as a thousand-separator.