Re: Proposed text to close ISSUE-2

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:43:21 +0100
To: Conrad Parker <conrad@metadecks.org>

Dear Conrad,

> This rationale seems to be limited to subviews of the original
> resources, eg. an excerpt of video; in that situation it makes sense.
>
> There was an earlier discussion about addressing a single frame of a
> video as an image, ie. where the returned data would be formatted as
> valid jpeg or png. In that situation, I think the mime-type of the
> returned data should be image.
> (Apologies if that is outside the scope of ISSUE-2).

This is perfectly in-scope of this ISSUE. However, it seems to me that
the group consensus is that "addressing a single frame of a video as an
image" will create a *new* resource. It is therefore *NOT* a fragment.
It might be possible to create such a resource using a '?' followed by
the same syntax of the media fragment URI. It might be possible to use
the link header provided by http to provide a (typed) link towards the
video resource from which the image comes from. The mime type of this
new resource would certainly be image/jpeg for example.

The summary is, returning an image frame from a video is not a fragment
of this video.
Cheers!