Re: Action-28: updated syntax document with time formats

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 01:08:40 +0100
To: Conrad Parker <conrad@metadecks.org>
CC: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>

Dear Conrad,

> We've seen users often want to write eg. "2:30" to specify a time of 2
> minutes 30 seconds, rather than having to type out 0:02:30. I'd
> suggest making the hours specification optional.

Hum, currently the syntax allows to use either a npt value (in your case
150s for 2:30) or a smpte value (for which the hour is not optional).
Which scheme would you like to add that would have the hour optional?
Could you give it a name?

> Using a single ':' to separate an optional frame count from the rest
> of the time is visually ambiguous -- eg. does 1:12:07 refer to 1m12s7f
> or 1h12m7s? We can't expect users to consult the grammar to see that
> hours are mandatory and frames are optional.

In smpte, it is not ambiguous :-) But you're right, you need to know the
grammar ...

> I suggest using two colons '::' as the frame separator, which I recall
> having seen commonly used in video applications.

We could do that, but with a 3rd scheme that would not be npt or smpte.
What would you suggest?
Could you please suggest (simpler) valid media fragment URI?