Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 02 December, Telecon 1000 UTC

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:25:26 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: public-media-fragment@w3.org, Erik Mannens <erik.mannens@ugent.be>, Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Dear all,

> have you been able to work on section 5?

I consider I have finally completed my long time overdue action 112. See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2009Dec/0008.html
We need to discuss it now and take some resolutions. I personally still
have some precise questions regarding both approaches to make sure they
are complete. See the email I just sent.

Regarding the Section 5, I agree that it needs a complete re-structuring
in order to be aligned with the section 3. I would like that in today's
telecon we share this load of work. I would suggest the following structure:

   - Section 5.1: Media Fragment Resolution and Processing general setup
     . Actual content of 5.1 + 5.2
     . Michael, there is some long editorial note from you stating you
will rework the text. Is this still of actuality?

   - Section 5.2: Resolving URI fragments with server help
     . Good case: HTTP request header + HTTP response header documentation
     . Fallback 1: non-media fragment conformant UA
     . Fallback 2: non-media fragment conformant server (old-fashioned)

   - Section 5.3: Resolving URI fragments in a proxy cachable manner
     . Good case: HTTP request header + HTTP response header
documentation --> 2 round-trips fully detailed!
     . Fallback 1: non-media fragment conformant UA
     . Fallback 2: UA that does understand media fragment URI but not
support newly introduced headers
     . Fallback 3: non-media fragment conformant server (old-fashioned)
     . Fallback 4: server that does understand range request in various
units but not support newly introduced headers

   - Section 5.4: Resolving URI queries

What do you think?
Cheers.