Re: Fwd: video size when aspect ratio is not 1

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:54:02 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/8/22 Raphaël Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>:
>>> just came across this on whatwg. I think it also applies to our aspect
>>> fragment addressing, right?
>>
>> Indeed. The aspect ratio is defined in our document as a way to crop an
>> image to a centered area given the defined aspect ratio. We then write:
>> "The original media is cropped either horizontally or vertically to the
>> maximum size that has the given aspect ratio."
>> I realize that we have no use case that clearly shows the need for such
>> feature. Perhaps we could add one, what do you think?
>
> Yes, I do think we need a use case for aspect - when I re-read this
> part recently, I found it a strange MF addressing type. If you have an
> idea, please share / add.

I think the only use case if fixing files which are incorrectly encoded or
for file formats that simply can't contain aspect ratio information. This
was actually in HTML5 before but was dropped because it wasn't seen as
very important.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Opera Software