Re: Fwd: [whatwg] Remove addCueRange/removeCueRanges

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 02:32:23 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you can see in the below email thread, in the WHATWG/HTML5
> discussions, the need for temporal fragment addessing has been voiced
> multiple times.
>
> Can I suggest we do a concerted effort over the next few weeks to make
> the temporal fragment specifications solid and have some demos that
> show how they should work? This would be either using the existing
> annodex technology, or a set of javascript libraries, or whatever
> other approach we can use (ffmpeg?, gstreamer?) to make concrete
> demos. Then we can encourage the browser vendors to actually implement
> support for our addressing methods into the browsers. It would be a
> break-through already if we only sorted out the time dimension!
>
> I am concretely thinking here about:
> * sorting out what the difference between the # and the ? approach
> should be - use cases, protocol, user interface

For now I would be very happy if we could just define the most basic
syntax. As far as browsers are concerned, query strings will not be given
any special treatment, so personally I am only interested in the syntax
for proper fragments. Normative text for UI makes no sense, so at most it
would be an informative note in the spec.

> * implement a demo using HTML5 video tag

That would be nice, you could probably get away with just seeking to the
proper position with JavaScript and the listen to the timeupdate even to
pause it and the end of the fragment.

> This whole issue is getting urgent because HTML5 is going for a last
> call in October. If we don't have anything sorted by then, it would be
> a rather poor state of affairs for video on the Web.

I don't want to imply that we can slack off, but browsers won't stop
improving just because HTML5 freezes. But yes, it would be good if we
could get a normative reference from HTML5 to MF in the place where it now
says "For example, a fragment identifier could be used to indicate a start
position."

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Opera Software