Re: Results of the media type review regarding fragment identifier (semantics)

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Michael Hausenblas
<michael.hausenblas@deri.org> wrote:

> Silvia,
>
>> I was under the impression that both MPEG7 and MPEG21 registered the
>> fragment syntax together with the MIME type, but obviously they
>> didn't.
>
> Well, as I said, looking at the IANA registry I was not able to find an
> indication for this. We should peradventure ping them and ask if they did
> (in some non-standard way, dunno?) or does the WG think this might be
> counter-productive and just open a can of worms?

I think those specs may indeed be part of the MPEG7 and MPEG21
standard documents and an ISO document is just as much a standard as
an IETF/IANA document. So, if you want to be complete, you may need to
add these.

>> Ogg/temporal URI only has an expired I-D for this. YouTube,
>> Google and the other Web 2.0 sites that provide temporal media
>> fragment addressing just simply provide it as a feature without
>> registring it.
>
> Yes. Again, I was just looking at the paper-trail part. Obviously there are
> formats out there that practically do so. This is now the second step and I
> guess we have in the SOTA already a good overview whom to approach regarding
> this.
>
> The only thing I'm saying here is essentially: from a *standardisation*
> point of view (IANA, IETF, W3C) it *seems* we have no clashes so far.

Yes, I was just supporting your statement.

>> Also please note that RTP/RTSP, while specifying protocol methods for
>> addressing time offsets, have left the URI syntax specification to the
>> server, see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt (search for
>> "fragment"). I have just added that information to
>> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/State_of_the_Art .
>> [Davy/Erik: you might want to add this to the WD].
>
> No you find me confused a bit. RFC2326 is not referenced from the IANA
> registry AFAIK. Would you mind adding a note to [1], if you think this
> changes anything on the finding itself?

That's because rtsp is a protocol and not a media type, so it won't be
specified as part of a media type. Problem with the media types is
that they were never meant to be protocol-specific. In any case, RTSP
should not have a problem adapting our specs.