Re: Use cases and requirements for Media Fragments: Chapter 8

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:46:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
cc: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, RaphaŽl Troncy wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have added the chapter 8 in the main document, see
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-reqs/#retrieving-fragment
>
> In particular,  I have drawn two graphics that hopefully will clarify
> everything. I'm more than happy to receive any feedback on this section. Any
> taker?

In the 4 way handshake, the first request is not using Range requests.
(and if it did, the first response would have been 206).

What could be done is...

Using conneg (but it would be quite ugly).

GET http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/media/fragf2f.mp4 HTTP/1.1
Accept: application/range-conversion-uri;q=1, video/*;q=0.5

->
307 Temporary Redirect
Location: http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/resolver/range-converter?video=2342fedca

(but even there we need an API to know how to call the resolver).

or...
HEAD /2008/WebVideo/Fragments/media/fragf2f.mp4 HTTP/1.1
Host: www.w3.org

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Link: <http://www.example.org/my-range-resolver>; rel="http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/range-resolver"

(meta information of the whole video, without retrieving it)

But you still need to know how to call the resolver (that info might be
retrieved from the rel URI from the Link header)

In any cases, the examples are a bit wrong, as only the "path query" part
of the URI is in the GET .. HTTP/1.1 line.

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiťu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves