Re: video use-case

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:35:10 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>, Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>

Dear Silvia,

[...]

>> For any protocol?  What is the 'media type' in RTSP?  The only thing that
>> comes back with any kind of recognizable types are (a) the description
>> format (e.g. SDP) and (b) the individual streams (video/mpeg4, for example,
>> is the MIME name of the RTP mpeg4 payload format).  Which one 'owns' the
>> fragment on the bundle that the URL represents.
>
> The media type is the MIME type of the resource that is returned. In
> RTSP we don't actually have real "video" resources. We only have codec
> streams. So, the meaning of "fragment" in RTSP is not the same as that
> for ftp or http for example. However, I think RTSP already has
> mechanisms from doing fragment addressing since it was a main part of
> the standardisation of RTSP. I don't think we need to change that. We
> should learn from it and consider means of harmonising in the end I
> think.

That would be great if we could have further information explaining how
the fragment addressing mechanism works in RTSP. Like you said, we will
need to learn from their experience. Do you have any pointer to start
with? Would you like to study that further and report your findings
during one of our next telecon?