Re: video use-case

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:09:09 +0200
To: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>

Dave,

>> OK, so the tables are in the MOV file and therefore not available to
>> the client without talking to the server. Therefore, you need to do at
>> least one communication between client and server to get the
>> information how to map time to byte-ranges. That is exactly the
>> process I talked about earlier: the server has to tell the client.
>
> Yes, but it's just a response to a regular byte-range request (or two).

Thanks for the explanations regarding how MOV and MP4 files work. I have
tried to capture the essence at
http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/Issues#URI_Fragment_.2F_URI_Query

It would be great to extend the special case for these two formats a bit
further, detailing what would be the interaction between the user agent
and the server for accessing, for example, the video sequence from 3'35
sec till 5'45 sec of a 10' video resource. We can take a real mov file
available on the web (a movie trailer?) for making this use case real.
Is a schema/drawing appropriate to model this interaction? Does someone
volunteer to draft a new wiki page?