Re: video use-case

Le 1 oct. 08 à 22:55, Jack Jansen a écrit :

> On 1-Oct-2008, at 17:42 , Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>>> That would be the case for the use cases you explicitly mention
>>> here,
>>> but there are other multiplexed videos where this isn't the case,
>>> think
>>> of movies in airline  cut/normal cut/directors cut. This means that
>>> timestamps become messy: either "00h:02m:00s:00f" becomes ambiguous
>>> (could be different points depending on track selection), or
>>> arithmetic
>>> on timestamps becomes impossible (depending on track selection
>>> "00h:02m:00s:00f" may or may not be 60 seconds after "00h:01m:00s:
>>> 00f".
>>
>> interesting example, indeed.
>> But, I would rather consider the different "cuts" to be different
>> videos.
>>
>> Indeed, the timeline is, in my view, a fundamental aspect of a video.
>

> Agreed. But this triggered another question: are we interested in
> the timestamps in the movie? If we ask for a segment of video
> starting at 30s, do we expect the timestamp of the first frame to be
> "30s"? Do we expect it to be "0s"? Do we expect nothing at all? This
> is going to be important for client-side creation of URLs for
> selecting subparts of videos.

I can consider a fragment of a video as a video, and I do not care
about the architecture that allows me to see it, download it, etc. as
a video. It begins at 0s.

I can consider a fragment of a video as a fragment of a video. In that
case it begins at 30s, I can explicitly manipulate both the fragment
and the video (e.g. jump to a frame before the fragment beginning,
let's say at 20s).

I think both cases should be considered. I do not manipulate a "video"
and a "fragment of a video" in the same way, even if their playing can
result in the same rendering (eg. 5 seconds of video in a web page).

Regards

Y.

--
Yannick Prié - MCF Informatique - LIRIS UMR 5205 CNRS
UFR Informatique - Université Lyon 1 - F-69622 Villeurbanne Cedex