RE: Review of RTSP description

From: Davy Van Deursen <davy.vandeursen@ugent.be>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:34:36 +0100
To: "'Jack Jansen'" <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Cc: "'Media Fragment'" <public-media-fragment@w3.org>

Hi Jack,

thanks for your comments! Some answers are provided inline.

This is basically a combination of PAUSE and PLAY, where the PLAY method
contains the Range header pointing to the new temporal location. I have
added this explanation to the page.

>- Does rtsp have a way to say that streaming should stop at some
>point? Again relevant to temporal fragmenting.
Yes it has. The Range header can also be used with the PAUSE command (on
condition that a time point is given, instead of a time range). The
streaming server will stop sending the media content at this time point when
it receives such a PAUSE command. I have added an example to the wiki page.

>- Does rtsp have a way to do spatial croppping?
No, not to my knowledge. In the last section of the document
(http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/RTSP_implementation#Extendin
g_RTSP), a possible way to add such functionality to RTSP (i.e., by defining
a new RTSP header) is described.

Best regards,

Davy

--
Davy Van Deursen

Ghent University - IBBT
Department of Electronics and Information Systems Multimedia Lab