Squid experts

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:04:09 +1100
To: "Media Fragment" <public-media-fragment@w3.org>

Hi all,

I had a discussion with a squid expert and wanted to share some of the
points that were made.

First, they asked why we didn't have a squid expert in the group,
since this seems to be such a difficult topic to get right. If
somebody in the squid community would be interested, would we want
them to join?

One technical point that was made is that doing time ranges in proxies
may be really difficult since time is inherently continuous and so the
continuation from e.g. second 5 to second 6 may not easily be storable
in a 2-way handshake in the proxy.

Instead there was a suggestion to create a codec-independent media
resource description format that would be a companion format for media
resources and could be downloaded by a Web client before asking for
any media content. With that, the Web client would easily be able to
construct byte range requests from time range requests and could thus
fully control the download. This would also mean that Web proxies
would not require any changes. It's an interesting idea and I would
want to discuss this in particular with Davy. Can such a format
represent all of the following structural elements of a media
resource:
* time fragments
* spatial fragments
* tracks