Re: [mediacapture-main] Pull Request: Extend iframe with a new allowusermedia attribute (issue: #268)

On 09/02/16 12:27, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> Den 08. feb. 2016 04:20, skrev Martin Thomson:
>> On 6 February 2016 at 01:35, Stefan Håkansson LK
>> <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
>>> This seems mostly in line with PR #313.
>>

>> I agree, but #313 has the same problems as this proposal in that it
>> breaks sites.
>>
>> And I would be opposed to adding an attribute that we'd have to
>> support indefinitely if there is a good chance that we'll have to add
>> an attribute with similar, if not identical, properties.
>>
>> Since this is a very late change to functionality, I want to make sure
>> that everyone is OK with the change.  That includes users of the API
>> especially.
>>

> My read is that #313 is in concordance with the "floating proposal" (to
> require permission at top level only), and is absolutely necessary in
> order for the "floating proposal" to be viable (otherwise, the "floating
> proposal" would automatically grant permission to all nested iframes, no
> dialogue needed - which would be a privacy disaster).

It is in concordance with "floating proposal", but the later proposes a
different way (than #313) for the parent origin to declare what
permissions the iframe can request:

<iframe id="embedee" src="..." permissions="geolocation notifications
midi"></iframe>

I am confused about where the "floating proposal" is discussed though.
There is nothing said about it in the WebAppsSec list, I find nothing
anywhere in the WebPlatform WG or the WhatWG spaces either.

> So I see #313 as a Good Thing to merge - it makes the "floating
> proposal" feasible, because all the pages that would have to be broken
> under the "floating proposal" are already broken by #313.

I also think it makes sense to merge, but we should probably add a note
saying that discussion is ongoing and this particular feature may change.