RE: Comments/Questions on Media Capture Streams – Privacy and Security Considerations

On Chrome it takes 4 clicks to remove all cookies from an origin, navigating 3 technically dense dialogs. Many people do not understand how that works, even less than those that understand what the camera icon is. For those that do they are still inhibited from clearing everything because they might want to keep their authentication or OBA opt-out cookies. There needs to be a reasonable expiry, if only for the technically less informed majority.

From: Harald Alvestrand [mailto:harald@alvestrand.no]
Sent: 29 October 2015 22:56
To: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>; 'Eric Rescorla' <ekr@rtfm.com>
Subject: Re: Comments/Questions on Media Capture Streams – Privacy and Security Considerations

On 10/29/2015 04:29 PM, Mike O'Neill wrote:

So what would be a reasonable default, somewhere between a few hours and eternity?

If it's easy to discover that the permission has been given and revoke it, I don't see a problem with "lifetime of browser profile" (which is slightly shorter than "eternity").

In addition to the revocation available through the camera icon, Chrome has implemented clearing all permissions if an user clears cookies for a domain; the assumption is that if the user clears cookies, he's likely to want all relationships with that domain to "start from zero".

Mike