Re: Specifying the audio buffer size

Interesting - I'd completely forgotten about sampleRate and sampleSize.

sampleSize is in bits and defined only on linear-sampling devices, so
it's likely to be 8, 16 or 24.

sampleRate is usually 8000, 16000, 44100 or 48000 (192000 at the extreme).

So both these refer to a single audio sample; latency and sampleCount
would be completely equivalent:

  latency = sampleCount / sampleRate
  sampleCount = latency * sampleRate

But if the user specifies sampleCount without specifying sampleRate, he
might get a completely different latency from what he wanted; it seems
unlikely that the user's tolerance for latency would increase with worse
sound quality.

What does the user care about?