Re: [rtcweb] Conditions for long-term permissions grants

On 10/03/15 19:50, Justin Uberti wrote:
> I think we should follow the precedent that has been set for this sort
> of thing on mobile devices, namely that apps ask for consent the first
> time they need the camera, and this permission is stored, as mentioned
> in
> http://useyourloaf.com/blog/2014/07/16/ios-8-camera-privacy-settings.html.

Personally I don't agree (more on why below), but my takeaway from that
is that we should perhaps leave the document as is since it is unlikely
that we would find consensus if we try to add more detail on the
behavior regarding stored permissions in a normative part of the spec.

Why I don't agree: I think there is a difference between an installed
app and a web page. Installing an app is a much more conscious decision
than, there is (usually) an app store involved, and an app can be
uninstalled (of course you can revoke stored permissions - but that is
not as intuitive to the average user IMO).

Moreover, it is quite easy to imagine sites to ask for access to camera
and microphone (e.g. get support during a purchase in a web shop) in
situations when you really like that access to be one time (I'd not like
that web shop to be able too use my camera next time I'm browsing its
pages).

And https is a good thing, but not sufficient IMO. Most sites will move
there (and don't get me wrong: that is a good thing), so I'm not sure
that "served over https" always equals "well behaved" and in addition
not all of those sites will be professionally managed and could be
hacked. So my very personal opinion is that allowing any site (served
over https) to store permissions to use camera and microphone without my
explicit permission to do so is not right.