Re: Media Capture and Streams Last Call review; deadline May 15 ( LC-3013)

Copying in public-pfwg-request@w3.org to avoid the bounce-back from
public-pfwg. Apologies for the duplication.

---

Dear WebRTC Group,

Thank you for your response to my comment. I agree that the current WD
does not deal with streams of data related to the media, so in that sense
you have provided an accurate answer. However I am far from certain that
this is acceptable. As far as I can see this constraint prevents WebRTC
both from being augmented with accessibility data for example
subtitles/captions and from being augmented with other data-based
functionality such as the display of text or graphics not associated with
accessibility.

I note that the Working Group Charter lists a dependency on WAI Protocols
and Formats Working Group: "Reviews from the WAI PF Working Group will be
required to ensure the APIs allow to create an accessible user
experience." I am not a member of WAI PFWG but have copied in
public-pfwg@w3.org to this message to ensure they have visibility of my
comment: at present I believe that the APIs do not "allow to create an
accessible user experience."

I would suggest it should be a matter of priority for the Working Group to
consider adding this capability. You request a proposal for a specific
solution for this. One possible solution would be to extend the
MediaStreamTrack.kind attribute to permit the value "data" and to have a
further more specific type so that user agents can process data tracks
successfully. It may also be helpful or necessary to expose a common clock
with which such data may be synchronised - further design work to
establish the importance of this would be needed.

An example of the usage scenario could be the provision of a sequence of
TTML or WebVTT documents which, on presentation, provide
subtitles/captions for the video or audio content. This could be achieved
by having a MediaStreamTrack of kind "data" and subtype "ttml+xml" in the
case of TTML.

Kind regards,

Nigel

--
Nigel Megitt
Executive Product Manager, BBC Engineering