Re: Request for feedback: Media Capture and Streams Last Call

On 7/6/15 4:00 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> I am somewhat confused by one thing, though....
>
> If I do:
>

> enumerateDevices() => { device: id = 12345 type = videoinput }
>
> getUserMedia({video: { deviceId: { exact: 12345 } }
>
> enumerateDevices()
>
> am I guaranteed that the device with id 12345 in the second
> enumerateDevices is the same device as the one I grabbed?

OK so we need to be clearer about what persisting means. I meant persist
(to disk) across browser sessions, leaving deviceIds stable "for the
current session", by which I meant browser session, i.e. until you quit
the browser.

> I think it should be - that the getUserMedia() call has the effect of
> freezing the previous ID assignment.

so this would work regardless of the outcome of the gUM call (I'm
assuming you meant to wait for gUM to succeed?)

> But on the other hand:
>
> enumerateDevices() => { device: id = 12345 type = videoinput }
> enumerateDevices() => { device: id = 2346 type = videoinput }
> getUserMedia({video: { deviceId: { exact: 12345 } }
>
> would result in a failure of getUserMedia. Right?

No, as that's not what I had in mind with "current session".

.: Jan-Ivar :.