Re: "Implementing <audio> on top of..." (Re: Initial draft of mediacapture-output spec posted)

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 15:53:02 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> Why would we want to demonstrate those things?
> To constrain the complexity of the platform to some set of primitives
> through which the rest can be explained.

That sounds like a worthwhile goal.

But why would doing the demonstrations proposed (if they are even
possible) help achieve that goal?

The usual result of this kind of exercise, starting from pre-existing
platforms, is that you identify a set of primitives that are more
powerful than the things you want to explain, and no simpler to
understand - or that one achieves a description that is correct for some
cases, but breaks down for advanced usage.

Neither seems to be a huge benefit.

(If one could design the primitives first, and build the other APIs on
top of them, I think that the result may have a greater chance of being
useful. But that's not what's being proposed.)

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.