Re: An updated MediaRecorder proposal based on streams

I must emphasise again that MediaRecorder needs to work faster than
real-time for several significant use cases. For example "bouncing" (mixing
down) a multi-track recording in a DAW, or transcoding audio, are
effectively useless at real-time speed (consider working with 1 hr worth of
material in these cases). AFAIK MediaStream can run only in real-time. I
had heard Mozilla were considering passing MediaRecorder an AudioNode from
the Web Audio API such that you could render an OfflineAudioContext in to a
MediaRecorder at faster-than-realtime, which would cover this nicely.
However this would require updating the spec to allow for this case and not
assume that there is always a MediaStream present.

For a "MediaRecorder v2" proposal, I strongly feel faster-than-realtime
recording is an essential requirement.

Ashley