Re: Canceling pending getUserMedia() call

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com> wrote:

>  What happened to "a more general discussion [...] about permissions and
> what APIs we should offer around them"? - We seem to have moved on to where
> to stick the API (which is irresistible, so I'll jump in).
>
> Can we sidestep the whole fetch debate with:
> navigator.mediaDevices.cancelOutstandingGumRequests() ?

This seems like an unwarranted piece of special casing.

Making promises cancellable is a terrible idea, because a promise can be
> passed around to several functions without granting control to any of them.
> Nevermind that any function acting on said control would affect all the
> other ones (action-at-a-distance). Control has to live upstream in the
> tree, and it's not for the recipient of a promise to break, resolve or
> reject it.

Without taking a position on the merits of it, it seems like cancellable
promises are likely coming, so we might as well use them.

-Ekr