Re: Media Capture and Streams Last Call review; deadline May 15

On 15/04/2015 16:11, "Harald Alvestrand" <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:

>On 04/15/2015 04:31 PM, Nigel Megitt wrote:
>> Hi Arthur,
>>
>> Does this work include the capture of related streams of media and/or
>>data
>> with common timing references, such as captions or subtitles?
>
>No, it does not.
>
>The concept of synchronization between tracks is mentioned, but only as
>an intent - "this is not a hard requirement" (section 4.1).
>
>Further work could be done to expose timing information and/or link to
>other media forms, but this is not part of the current Last Call.

Thanks. Assuming that the intent of capturing media is to replay it at
some point, clearly it's important to be able to replay it alongside
anything required to support accessibility requirements. It doesn't seem
appropriate to define solutions right now, but it's conspicuous that the
only MediaStreamTrack @kind values listed are audio and video and the only
track source types are camera and microphone. Since this spec could be
used for example to allow capture of live television streams then it
follows that caption (aka subtitle) tracks should additionally be
included, or at least that an extension mechanism is defined to permit
them to be added. Or failing that, that sufficient information is
available to permit a UA to play back a separately obtained caption or
subtitle resource alongside the captured media.

Can I suggest that the HTML Accessibility Task Force and Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines Working Group also be invited to provide review?
I will also make the Timed Text Working Group (which I co-chair) aware,
though conceivably the members will not take a direct interest - just an
indirect one.