Re: Video filter (was: W3C Last Call announcement for Media Capture)

On 15 Apr 2015 18:43, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org> wrote:

> On 13/04/2015 22:44, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> > Video filters are being written using the canvas api these days. You
>> capture frames into the canvas and then can do whatever you like with
>> the pixels. This can also be done with live video. Is that not
>> sufficient? What is the use case?
>

> As far as I know, using canvas for video manipulation is OK when the said
manipulation is achievable on the CPU, but a lot of manipulation can only
be reasonably achieved with the help of the GPU.

> As graphic cards bring a lot of hardware-baked video manipulation
features, a Web API that would enable to use these on video streams would
be useful.

> WebCL is a contender in this space, but I don't think it has gained much
traction so far: https://www.khronos.org/webcl/

You might want to search for canvas and GPU - you might find that most
browsers actually do canvas operations on the GPU.

Cheers,
Silvia.