Re: getUserMedia() and authenticated origins

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Stefan HÃ¥kansson LK
<stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
> On 08/09/14 19:25, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Is it true that the only reason we are not requiring an authenticated
>> origin for getUserMedia() is that it might break tests or demos? Tests
>> or demos do not usually influence design choices.
>
> No, I don't think that is true at all, in fact I do not remember that
> tests were mentioned at all as a reason when the design was made.

So it was because of demos?

> Allowing plain http domains to ask for access to media devices is
> discussed a lot in, including API and UI requirements. Specifically
> it is said that
>
> "Implementations MAY also opt to refuse all permissions grants for HTTP
> origins, but it is RECOMMENDED that currently they support one-time
> camera/microphone access."

Why is this not part of the API document? And why is this the
recommendation? E.g. things like
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-arch-10#section-5.1
would be much better if they were defined as part of the API in terms
of https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/ terminology.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/