Re: Wild Tangent about Crypto (was Re: CfC: only allow authenticated origins to call getUserMedia)

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> wrote:

> Sure. You're getting off onto the tangent of opportunistic encryption,
> rather than really talking about the gUM issue. I'll post one quick rebuttal
> here, and then I intend to let the issue alone on this list (since it's
> several steps removed from the media capture charter).

It's a bit of a tangent, I agree. And I apologize for not making it
clear that I believe all of these questions are intertwined:

* Why should we pay the cost of developing and deploying a security
mechanism if its guarantee is not strong enough to justify even a
1-bit a user-visible promise? Keep in mind that resources spent
defeating purely passive attacks are resources that cannot be spent on
stronger mechanisms.

* Why should users trust an origin that cannot make a promise? (With
their cameras and microphones?)

* Why should we believe the cost differential between active and
passive attack is large?