Re: getUserMedia() and authenticated origins #2

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Stefan HÃ¥kansson LK
<stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
> is you proposal that gUM should only be possible for authenticated
> origins as defined in
> https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/#is-origin-authenticated?
>
> So far I think we've in this work only talked about http and https, and
> I know that some implementation(s) disallow gUM from file: URLs; but
> those seem to be authenticated according to the reference.
>
> We should probably get a better understanding about what the
> implications would be of allowing file URL access.

I don't think file URLs should have any baring on a move to
authenticated origins. The security implications of file URLs (and in
fact the workings of file URLs too) have been left up to user agents
since forever. I'd rather Mixed Content leaves file URLs as an
exercise to the reader until we better know what we want with them in
general.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/