Re: getCapabilities() as both static and object method?

On 12/05/2014 1:47 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 05/12/2014 05:55 PM, cowwoc wrote:
>> On 12/05/2014 8:54 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>>> In the current version of the spec, we have:
>>>
>>> The getCapabilities() method returns the dictionary of the
>>> capabilities that the object supports.
>>>
>>> This means that one must get an object before one can get
>>> capabilities of it. This is inconvenient for some usages (deciding
>>> what to pass to getUserMedia is the obvious one).
>>>
>>> Should this method also be available as a static method?
>>>
>>> Harald
>>
>> -1: I'm in favor of leaving this as an instance-only method.
>>
>> Gili
>>
> Why?
>
> What do you suggest as an alternate method for detecting availability
> of capabilities before the first call to getUserMedia?

Sorry, I hit submit too quickly. I was going to ask you to elaborate on
how you saw this working for getUserMedia().

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. My understanding was that you
wanted classes to have both a static and instance method. If so, I would
be -1 on that and would favor classes having either of the two but never
both at the same time. I don't see the need for classes to have both and
think that doing so would be confusing to developers.

On a higher level, I'm in favor of allowing developers to enumerate
devices and their capabilities without prompting for user permission. I
view getUserMedia() as the act of "opening" the devices I am interested
in, which would prompt the user for permission.

Gili