Re: Constraints 2014 new slides

Jan-Ivar,
   I do like the way that you included the list of requirements in your
slide deck, and have made a real attempt to meet them.  The reason that
the requirements look like they're skewed to the current spec is that
they grew up along with it.  We didn't start with a clear set of
requirements, but with a general idea.  As we discussed things, we got
clearer on what we wanted, and so what I'm calling "requirements" are
the main points we agreed on as we went along.

I would also like to clarify my earlier point on the simplicity of
syntax.  It's very much a matter of personal taste.  I was raised on
LISP and find nested structures quite intuitive, while I dislike
syntaxes that have semantically distinct concepts at the same level - so
"width" and "require" are at the same level in the dictionary yet mean
very different things.  I don't expect others to share my tastes, but I
don't  think that there is a fact of the matter as to which of the
proposals is simpler.

- Jim

--
Jim Barnett