Re: Media Capture Depth Stream Extension - call for review

I like the direction you are going with this … few small comments

I think the term "range" would be better than "depth" as that is what is used in lots of other contexts.

For cameras that do do this based on triangulation (either laser or stereo), you end up with really bad fidelity in some cases when you use integers because the values tend to linearly related with inverse of distance. At the browser API level, I think this would work best if the values were float in point numbers - preferable representing range in meters. If integers are used, it gets complicated on how to map them and depends on actually distance. So I strongly support the proposal in the issues section to use FLOAT in meters.

Imagine a stereo camera that gives me a left and right camera plus a range image. So a call to getUseMedia might return two  video tracks plus a range track. I think we need to say something about the range image is registered to the left or right camera. Probably just saying that the first range track is registered to whatever the first video track is would do. Am I making any sense here or do I need to explain this better ?