Re: Future of SourceType - Call For Consensus?

On 07/06/2014 09:52 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Yeah, I'm not enthusiastic about this. I'm sensitive to your point about
> unused extension points, but seeing as we know we want to do screen
> capture, I suggest we just take the opportunity to get that right now.

One of the things we've talked about for a long time, but don't have, is
a (short) extension spec that says "here's how we do screen capture".

We know the security section of this needs careful writing, but it might
be simpler to get a spec out that shows the rest of the stuff -
including the use of SourceTypeEnum as a choice mechanism.
I think the Depth spec does a fairly good job of showing that the spec
is open to extension via more media types, without turning into a
dependency for getusermedia-1.0; a screen capture spec could do the same
thing for SourceType.

(Because of the issue with enums that we discovered with FacingMode, it
has to be cast to a DOMString in the constraints API, but that's a
different topic.)

Can you think of a way to get someone to volunteer to write such a spec?