Re: MediaError object (Re: New Editor's draft v20131225)

> On 01/09/2014 04:04 PM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
>> It's not needed by programs, except programs that would need to do
>> this anyway IMHO. I think we let this cat out of the bag when we said
>> "SDP parsing" was an API. It's not. It's an emergency access panel to
>> the implementation.
>
> To which viewpoint I agree.....
>
>> My point was quite specific: Line-number isn't enough to cover
>> Sylvia's rather ambitious code anyway, which likely would look like
>> this already to parse the error messages for clues, not to mention
>> browser-specific SDP tricks that might need to be dealt with, so this
>> seems par for the course. Who needs a silver spoon to eat out of
>> trashcans?
>
> But SDP, for all its faults, has a specified grammar. So an SDP parser
> can parse any compliant SDP, and "line number" has a specific meaning.
> No browser implementor governs the syntax of SDP.
>
> My objection above is to encouraging browser-version-specific code.

If it is already needed, then this doesn't encourage it, so I don't see
the problem.

The sole use-case brought up talks about reacting to SDP *errors* which
to me sounds highly specific to how certain implementations operate,
making the whole use-case about implementation kludging in my eyes.

If we're discussing what to encourage, I frankly think this particular
use-case should be hard, a last resort rather than something we encourage.

.: Jan-Ivar :.