Re: MediaError object (Re: New Editor's draft v20131225)

> So you're suggesting that the SDP line number should be replaced with
> a statement "we RECOMMEND that the informative debug message gives the
> line number in the SDP where the error occured"?

Yes, I think that covers typical use just great.

> It's an informative message. I'll strongly recommend against placing
> more restrictions than that on the format.
>
> If the line number really is needed by programs, the result will be
> code like:
>
> if (chrome & chrome-version < 3.44) {
>    match /SDP line number: \d+
> } else if (chrome & chrome-version < 4.48) {
>    match /Description line \d+ contains/
> } else if (firefox & version >  3.27) {
>    match /SDP line: \d+/
> }
>
> and so on and so forth.

It's not needed by programs, except programs that would need to do this
anyway IMHO. I think we let this cat out of the bag when we said "SDP
parsing" was an API. It's not. It's an emergency access panel to the
implementation.

My point was quite specific: Line-number isn't enough to cover Sylvia's
rather ambitious code anyway, which likely would look like this already
to parse the error messages for clues, not to mention browser-specific
SDP tricks that might need to be dealt with, so this seems par for the
course. Who needs a silver spoon to eat out of trashcans?

.: Jan-Ivar :.