Re: Initial draft of mediacapture-output spec posted

On 17 December 2014 at 14:59, Philippe Joseph Cohen <philc@audyx.com> wrote:
> I’ve provided my recommendation for the explicit consent in the github
> issue: https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-output/issues/2. Let’s take it
> from there.

Where the discussion happens is probably a matter for the chairs to
advise on.  I don't care where, but I'd rather not have it jump
around.

In any case, when it comes to enumeration, capture has a clear
trigger.  A site asks for an input device, we show the prompt.  In
that context, the site can provide some hints to influence selection
toward sources that are acceptable to it.  Ultimately, the user
chooses though and all other sources remain off-limits.  The key being
that there is always a need for this consent process.

If you already have an output device (and you always will), you need
to be able to tell if that is the one you want, without any
information.  Asking for carte blanche access to audio devices is one
way to do that.  The other is to find some way for the site to present
a choice to users.

I've toyed with the idea of presenting previews for devices that could
be used by sites to provide selection UX under their control.  That
would allow sites to present a picker and users to make an informed
selection from within content.  In this case, that would enable the
creation of narrow grants.

If I understand correctly, this only makes sense in browsers that have
non-persistent permissions.  Persistent permissions, from my
understanding, turn any grant into universal access.