Re: Github repo notifications

On 12/12/14 21:37, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 12 December 2014 at 12:23, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> The important thing for me as a WG chair is to make sure the group knows
>> what the editors are doing to the document, and can check whether it
>> reflects what they think we agreed on in the WG or not.
>
> Keeping a tight leash on editors is detrimental in a number of ways.
> If the expectation is that there is continuous oversight, that creates
> burdens on all involved.  I'd prefer to rely on the usual process of
> regular review and give editors a little more discretion in how they
> operate, depending on what stage in the process a document is at.  We
> simply need the right balance of checks.
>
> It seems like this is at least partially predicated on a lack of trust
> in the editors.  I've seen no strong indication that that is an issue.

At least for me is not about lack of trust in the editors, or keeping a
tight leash on them, but rather to make it a bit easier to track how
things you care about are resolved.

With bugzilla mails are sent to the list when anything happens related
to a bug you care about. This makes it easier to follow how a specific
item you care about is resolved.

I think we should have something similar when we move to use github
tools for tracking.

Maybe the current setup with notes sent on
issue-open/comment/close+PR-opening+commits is not the right balance,
but I don't think having no notes sent to the list is right either.

What do others think?