Re: Github repo notifications

On 12/12/2014 14:58, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> It http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2014Dec/0012
> seems the messages are rather broken, the subject has two spaces after
> the tag instead of one

Fixed

, HTML escapes in plaintext,

Fixed

  they are not properly
> wrapped,

Fixed

insufficient formatting, e.g. no white space to visually sepa-
> rate the overlong addresses from possibly useful text,

Hopefully fixed to your satisfaction; I've made it so that there is an
empty line between commit, and a line return between the commit message,
the commit author, and the commir URL.

  and for responses
> in discussion threads the messages do not even quote relevant context.

Agreed, these aren't optimal; fixing this is not so simple, so I've
filed an issue to give it more thoughts:
https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml/issues/4

> It seems to me, if these mails are not at all like regular discussion
> mails, they should not be mixed with them as if they were. Archival and
> keeping people up to date over the mailing list could still be done by
> stuffing all the notifications into regular single-mail digests. Those
> could even be `multipart/digest` mails, so clients can automatically un-
> fold them into the regular mailing list view if people would like that.

Interesting idea (although I'm not sure W3C mail archiver correctly deal
with these); I've also filed an issue to look into this.
https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml/issues/5

(I also noted Martin's lack of love for commit notifs)

Dom