Re: Follow-up questions for details on the "min distance" algorithm

On 8/5/14 12:46 PM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> 3.  What do we do with ideal values <= 0?  For all the constraints we
> have so far, I think it would be easiest to just reject them with an
> error.  Would that be OK?

What harm do negative values cause? It seems to me that the algorithm
just handles them, so why preclude them in future numerical constraints?

> 4.  When we want a "strong match", such as for sourceId, what should
> the value be?  1000000?  "Infinity" has problems.  We really just need
> a "big value".  Is that a "big value" good enough?

This seems like a hack to make { sourceId: x } work like exact. If you
want a specific camera, write:

   { width: 2880, sourceId: { exact: x } }

like we just agreed. ;-)

Instead, why not 1 like we do for enums? I have no reason for 1 other
than it seems consistent and is different from exact. If camera x
doesn't support 2880 and I say:

   { width: 2880, sourceId: x }

how is that different from no user-facing camera supporting width=2880
and saying:

   { width: 2880, facingMode: "user" }

?

.: Jan-Ivar :.