Re: Bare values read as "just this value please"

On 8/4/14 4:30 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
> On 8/4/14 15:23, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
>> I recall more apathy than discontent, and I recall no actual
>> arguments raised. The minutes don't show anything either
>> http://www.w3.org/2014/05/21-mediacap-minutes.html - Maybe the
>> recording reveals something. In any case, can someone humor me and
>> articulate a reason?
>
> Because explicit indication is less confusing than implicit magic. If
> we make indication of the intention stated every time, you trade on
> the order of ten keystrokes for a massive improvement in readability.

I'm arguing for less magic. { aspectRatio: 16/9 } means just that,
always, and never anything else. That's explicit. JS isn't a
type-checked language so more verbose isn't always better. We win by
making things short, simple and obvious, and by making the simple, short
and obvious thing work.

.: Jan-Ivar :.