RE: MediaRecorder: stopRecording event language

To me this is an argument for MediaStream raising the ended event when stop() is called.  When an application requests an operation, it must be able to find out when that operation has finished.  So either the call should be synchronous or it should trigger a done/completed event.  Apps that don't care about that event can ignore it.

-          Jim

From: Greg Billock [mailto:gbillock@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:51 PM
To: Harald Alvestrand
Cc: Jim Barnett; public-media-capture@w3.org
Subject: Re: MediaRecorder: stopRecording event language

Oops. Sorry. The TR is a bit more explicit about this:

A MediaStream object is said to be finished when all tracks belonging to the stream have ended. When this happens for any reason other than the stop() method being invoked, the user agent must queue a task that runs the following steps:

If the object's ended attribute has the value true already, then abort these steps. (The stop() method was probably called just before the stream stopped for other reasons, e.g. the user clicked an in-page stop button and then the user agent provided stop button.)

Set the object's ended attribute to true.

Fire a simple event named ended at the object.
---

It clearer now than before that the spec means the 'ended' event does not happen if stop() is called. I think MediaRecorder should follow the same names and semantics.